Unfortunately the download from the link in the task notes wouldn’t work and I had to have a bit of a search around to find something that my computer could deal with, but third time lucky and all is happy in the world.
I found Filezilla quite intuitive and easy to use. I’m very happy! And I also now know that CAPITALISATION MATTERS!
I didn’t include a mention about blinkenlights in my last post. I managed to find it via telnet, and whilst I was totally impressed by the patience of who ever spent the hours putting it together, unfortunately it didn’t engage my tired brain and I didn’t watch it all the way to the end. It really made me appreciate how much we have progressed with our graphics and connectivity with the reader/end user.
But… on to the next task – pinging things! I’ve really been looking forward to this. I used to sit next to a team of server technicians and they were always pinging servers to see how they were going. They used to let me ping things from time to time to keep me happy – but this is the first time I’ve ever pinged anything for genuine reason! Woohoo!
Using Traceroute from Centralops, it took me 19 hops to reach Curtin. Great news, I not only achieved the task but I also understand the point of it!
I tried to download the tucows software but it looks like it’s a bit much for our delicate internet connection and was going to take >40 minutes, so that’s another task that will have to hold on for now.
I should mention Cynthia, that I’m using ‘borrowed’ wifi (thank you neighbours) until we get our internet up and running at home, it should happen in the next 3 or 4 weeks. I wonder if that is the cause of some of my problems last week?
I’ve just hit the next button and it seems I’m on to Module 2! I thought it would be a month before I got there! I’ll do some more reading around the Discussion Boards and get started on it tomorrow!
1 comment:
Hi Cherna
Pinging to make you happy, I smiled to myself here because I took great enjoyment out of traceroute and pinging task. Glad I'm not the only one.
Your blog is coming along nicely.
Fiona
Post a Comment